Saturday, January 26, 2008


I was about 12 when Donkey Kong hit the market and although I dumped a fair number of quarters into Donkey Kong, Crazy Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and not to mention Pac Man, Dig Dug, and Centipede, I was always more captivated by the harder to find machines such as Zoo Keeper and Mappy. But, even so, it was impossible to avoid these popular machines shoved into every available corner of just about any shop you would walk into. I never went to the grocery store with my folks without playing Pac Man. A trip for a pizza always ended up in a few games of whatever machine the shop had. And lets not forget that magical boardwalk in Ocean City NJ, with its endless string of bleeping machines calling me to my doom (as long as it wasn't Sunday and the blue laws shut them all down!). Even to this day, I can't help but throw a quarter into a classic machine, pick up a mug or wind up toy at the flea market and especially watch specials about them on G4TV. All that being said, King of Kong is a pretty great documentary that all gaming fans, such as my self, will find immensely enjoyable. You can order it here, with my recommendation. King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters DVD (NTSC Region 1)

No comments: